The Situation

CrowdComfort creates software that facilitates dialogue between commercial building managers and their tenants. As the business grew, improvements to the tenant experience in the browser app had lagged behind other priorities and the app was beginning to show its age. The CrowdComfort team set a strategic goal to reduce friction around the process of receiving and resolving maintenance requests through by overhauling the app’s design and technical architecture.

My Solution

I lead my team at Nonfiction through a series of rapid design cycles. Our design process was story driven and enabled us to create a redesigned web app that was simpler than its predecessor, yet capable of providing more detailed data. The redesign includes a number of significant new features like multi-dimensional filters, a calendar UI, and a holistic visual language for communicating status.

  • I collected research on the target audience and defined user personas for the experience.
  • I drafted user stories and built consensus with stakeholders around functional requirements.
  • I created storyboards, wireframes, and clickable Invision prototypes.
  • I designed the new user interface as a system of modular components.
  • I supported the engineering team during the build process.

What I Did

  • User Stories
  • Storyboarding
  • Prototyping
  • UI Design

The target audiences and the qualitative features of the experience were prioritized based on research and competitive analysis.

Wireframes explored multiple layout concepts with realistic content.

Interface designs brought the concepts up to high-fidelity.

User stories were documented for the engineering team as step-by-step storyboards.

The CrowdComfort user interface before vs. after my design process.

The UI design process generated a library of atomic Sketch components.